Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Review: The Crown by Kiera Cass



Hello today! Hehe wow I'm not clever. Anyways! Today I am going to be doing my first ever full length review and I'm ever so nervous. I've never written a review this way before and I hope it all makes sense. I would advise having read the whole of The Selection series or even just The Crown because I have a tendency to accidentally give away spoilers.  So please proceed with caution!! 


So, Today I am going to be reviewing The Crown by Kiera Cass which is the fifth and if I'm not mistaken, final book in the Selection series. The Selection, The Elite and The One follow America Singer who is chosen to participate in the Selection. The Selection is a contest where thirty-five girls compete against each other to win the Prince's hand in marriage. Or in Eadlyn's case, the Princess's hand. America somehow, miraculously wins her Selection and marries Prince Maxon, who btw is the cutest, and then we get into The Heir and The Crown.  The Heir starts Eadlyn's journey. You learn within the first few pages that she is the Heir to her father's throne, beating her brother, Ahren, to the catch by seven minutes.  When things begin to go south in the kingdom Maxon and America come up with the grand idea to give Princess Eadlyn a Selection, even though they promised her she would never be married off like that. Eadlyn is not very happy about it at all and during the Heir you see her have to struggle through the idea of having to distract the people and trying to keep her heart to herself because she refuses to give it away to these strangers. Personally, I think it's pretty easy to tell who will be top contenders in Eadlyn's Elite. 
At the end of the Heir something tragic happens and Eadlyn realizes she has to finish this Selection with a man by her side. But who does she pick? Well, that's what we find out in The Crown. 

(Okay, so that's it of the definitely not a spoiler part, no promises for what is coming)

Alright, so the Crown picks up RIGHT where the Heir leaves off, and I'm pretty happy about that. Eadlyn is struggling with the weight of the kingdom now suddenly thrown on her shoulders. Even though she knew she would hold the weight someday, she never expected to hold it that early. While filling in for her Father as Regent, Eadlyn still struggles with the thought of her Selection. How could she possibly rule a kingdom and choose the right man for her heart all at the same time? Well, I wouldn't have been able to handle it that's for sure. I really loved how when she made the decision to narrow it down to the Elite the boys understood why and didn't try to make her see reason as to why they should be kept there. I think in that moment both for Eadlyn and for Me I realized boys aren't always going to be douchebags like Jack was. Anyone remember him from the Heir? Yeahhh. That happened so quickly, I almost totally forgot about it until I flipped through the heir the other day. That was crazy.
Okay, so while we're on the subject let's talk about the characters.
     Princess Eadlyn: Don't get me wrong I love Eadlyn, a lot more than America. I mean America just kind of did things without thinking and for me that was so annoying. Eadlyn on the other hand seemed to overthink everything and I don't know which is really better there, but all the same I was more satisfied with Eadlyn's decisions than America's. I also really hated her name at the beginning of the story. I didn't know how to pronounce it, I thought it was weird. However, somewhere in the middle of the Heir I started to really like it. One thing I still don't like about it is the way everyone called her "Eady" but other than that the name really really grew on me as did her character itself. When you first meet her she's very guarded and bossy. Which I guess would make sense, you grow up around a bunch of boys you learn to be that way. But throughout the book you can really see her beginning to realize it's okay to feel. It's okay to tell people how you feel. It's alright to speak your mind. Not everything will go your way but not everything is under your control.
      Kile Woodwork: I must confess something. I loved Kile from the second Eadlyn first ran into him. Well, you know what I mean. I had a feeling he was going to be a top contender even if he wasn't chosen, which really surprised me. I was not expecting that at all. When he was chosen though and slowly Eadlyn starting realizing he wasn't so bad after all I found myself falling for him. I felt like he kept proving himself and honestly the entire time I was secretly rooting for him.
Josie Woodwork: Okay, while I hated Josie in the beginning I felt like she turned out to be quite a sweetheart at the end there. She was so very annoying in the beginning, rude and obnoxious. But once she shadowed Eadlyn that day it was like whoa who is this character and where did she come from! Lol!
Prince Ahren Schreave: I hated Ahren's name too. Let me just throw that out there. It took me forever to finally decide how to pronounce it. Finally I realized it was basically Aaron and I felt kind of dumb for not realizing that earlier. I totally loved Ahren's character up until he left with Camille. I thought it was a terrible thing to do, even though I completely understand why he did it I still felt betrayed by that sudden decision. THEN I about died after I found out about America and then the book ended and I actually died. My goodreads review was literally just me screaming about what the heck was that.
America and Maxon:  America was surprisingly not as much of a character as you would have expected. Maxon on the other hand was and I loved every second of it. Like how can you not love Maxon? Honestly, you have to be insane if you don't like Maxon Schreave.
Neena: She was just a little ray of sunshine.
Lady Brice: I wasn't quite sure how I felt about her until the end. That plot twist, I had no idea was coming came and Lady Brice officially had my full trust.
Fox: I was super confused with Fox. When the boys were first introduced to Eadlyn I did not remember meeting Fox. Honestly, I had no recognition of him until the night in the kitchen. But after that I really kind of felt for him. He really was a sweet genuine person and I felt really bad when Eadlyn sent him home but I knew it had to be done.
Hale: I LOVED Hale from the beginning. He was just nice and the conversations between him and Eadlyn were just so smooth and easy going, Really I thought Hale had a running chance for about half of the Crown and then that thought was ripped COMPLETELY out of my hands. Lol. I did not see that plot twist coming at all. But I'm glad it did. And I'm glad Eadlyn and Hale will continue being good friends after the Selection. (I really loved how she wants him to design her wedding dress<3)
Henri: Where do I even begin to describe sweet, adorable, Finnish, Henri? Well, I guess I just did. Henri was easily one of my favorites from the second you met him. He was adorable, sweet and just overall the cutest little guy ever. I think I'm just gushing over him now, but how can you not? 
Erik/Eikko: Now, I don't wanna say I called it because I totally didn't but I totally knew he was going to be a big part of Eadlyn's Selection. Like He was going to be there, she would always have to communicate with him just to talk to Henri. But like to add to that he was so sweet and caring and just ugh. He was always just there walking around the corner when Eadlyn needed him and I just- I'm not even mad he won. Though I wouldn't have been mad if say Henri or Kile won because I loved them all as well. 

Sweet lord, was that everyone? Probably not, but I'm gonna stop there and actually get into discussing the book. The Crown really picked up right after The Heir and I was grateful for that, because the end of The Heir destroyed me. I was mad and on the very verge of tears while reading Ahren's letter to Eadlyn and then the guards were like "Oh your mother had a heart attack" and I'm just sitting there thinking, "What the heck do you mean she just had a heart attack." and then I flipped the page and it ended. I was a mess of emotions that night, that's for sure. I was really excited to start the Crown because I HAD to know what happened, and so I started it the next day and then stopped. I don't know why but that's what happened. I still wanted to know what was going to happen but for some reason I couldn't make myself pick up the book and read it, which is ridiculous considering the size of it. Once I finally DID pick it up again I found myself flying through it.  I finished it really rooting for Kile, expecting her to pick Henri and then ending up with Erik and like I don't know and you but I was pretty satisfied with how it all ended up. 
It would have been nice to have had more explanation on the decision Eadlyn made about the country at the end. That felt rushed and quickly thought up but other than that I didn't really have any complaints. I really liked all of the suitors she had to pick from and the final choice was plenty okay with me. I think it was a good end to the series. I wanna know your thoughts! Comment and tell me if you thought differently and let's chat! Also let me know if this is the right way to do a book review! Until next time<3


Find Me! Tweet Me! Read Me! Add Me!
Instagram: @ALWAYS_THE_BOOK_CHICK
Twitter: @ALWAYS13LWWY
Wattpad: @ALWAYS13LWWY
Goodreads:
 https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/44026784-kaley-catron

  

No comments:

Post a Comment